Friday, April 4, 2014

We're All Friends Here: In Search of Ramsay's Hunting Party

"Not Until You Beg", the words of Ramsay's Hunting Party, wouldn't sound out of place coming out of the mouth of the team's namesake, Ramsay Snow. However, this team is one of the friendliest, non-castratingiest, and most chill team you'd ever meet. So without further ado, meet Patrick and Nancy of Ramsay's Hunting Party!





1. How did you guys meet?
Patrick: We met on a temp job a few years ago. A group of us from work started doing a weekly trivia night at a bar near the office, and Nancy and I hit it off. I finally asked her on a date where we weren't hanging out with other co-workers, and luckily she said yes! I've been dragging her to different trivia nights ever since.

2. What got each of you into the books?
Patrick: I discovered the books during the summer of 2003, right before my senior year. I've loved the fantasy genre my whole life, since reading Dragonlance when I was 10 or 11. I didn't discover the books on my own though, I have a cousin who always recommended books to me. First he started me on the Sword of Truth series, which was fine, but then he told me about a book he found called "A Game of Thrones." I tore through the first 3 books over a couple of months and have been hooked ever since. I read the books quickly at first, and missed pretty much everything. It wasn't until my second read through, which I believe I started as soon as I finished Storm of Swords, that I noticed things, like the fact it was Varys and Illyrio that Arya spied on, and the whole R+L=J madness. Finding the story that exists between the lines of the actual story has been most of the fun. 

Nancy: I didn't start reading the books until the TV show started. I was interested in the TV show, but I don't like watching a show or movie based on a book without reading the book first. Plus, with Patrick as interested in the books as he was I thought I should definitely give them a try. Once I started reading the books, I discussed each POV chapter with Patrick as I read it, which helped me realize just how much was going on. This drove my interest in reading the books, and now I'm stuck waiting on book 6 with everyone else.

3. If you could incorporate an aspect or custom from the world of ASOIAF into the real world, what would it be?
Patrick: Oh man, this is interesting. An aspect? It would definitely be dragons. I'd pick dragons to be real. Of course, with my luck they'd probably eat me first. 

Nancy: I'd like the Faceless Men, or warging to be real, but only if I could be one. I wouldn't want a bunch of changing-face assassins running around, unless I was one of them.

( They had a choice of answering between 'Hodor hodor Hodor hodor?' or 'What do you like outside of the books?' Patrick, ever obliging, answered both. -DF)

4. What are you into outside of the books?
Patrick: Hodor. What are we into outside of books? I'm really into comic books, I've been reading comics my whole life. Some favorites are Preacher, Grant Morrison's Batman work (and all of his work, who am I kidding), Saga, Hawkeye, and a lot more that I can't think of at the moment. If you start talking Song of Ice and Fire or comic books to me, I will seriously talk your ear off. I've even got Nancy reading some!

Nancy: My hobby is basically just binging shows on Netflix. I'm currently making my way through Fringe, Supernatural, Battlestar Galactica, and Star Trek: TNG. I also love rewatching Buffy, which is how Patrick got me into reading comics, by reading the continuation. I've finished Buffy Season 8, and am reading Buffy Season 9 now. I also love horror movies, both classic and modern. My biggest guilty pleasure is the Saw series, which I marathon every year. Also I love food, lots of food.

Patrick: Her love of horror movies is why we are named Ramsay's Hunting Party, after Westeros' own serial killer.

5. If you could stump one of the Sellswords, which one and what would the question be?
Patrick: How would I stump the sellswords? I'd ask them for a release date on Winds of Winter! Let's see you guys get that one right! As for a question that could be asked at trivia... maybe a spelling contest on some of the Meereen citizens. I'd be impressed if any of you could spell Skahaz mo Kandaq, Hizdahr zo Loraq, or Galazza Galare without looking it up. (I had to look it up just to spell them now).

Nancy: What are all the words that Reek rhymed with his name? Points off for wrong answers!

Finally, we want to thank you guys for putting the trivia together! We're sorry we missed the first night, but have looked forward to it every other Sunday since we started coming!

-Pat & Nancy aka "Ramsay's Hunting Party"

Aww, shucks...slightly verklempt...talk amongst yourselves...

Well, Patrick, Geoff has somewhat answered your prayers with his BK: A Game of WORDs event tomorrow at 5. As for Nancy's request, Danay, Savin, and I went about it during our meeting. So, what did Reek rhyme with his name? Our answers were: weak, meek, sneak, and leek. In the books, Reek rhymes with quite a bit, actually. Touché, Nancy, touché.



No comments:

Post a Comment